- specialised in work concerning young people’s drug use for almost 30 years.
- worked directly with young people, professionals who work with them and with parents and carers as an educator, project leader, trainer and counsellor/support worker.
- written books and reports and many widely used teaching and training packs, educational games and information pamphlets about drugs. Many of these have been published by DrugScope and HIT.
- run training courses about young people’s drug use all over the UK.
- lectured, trained professionals and/or carried out research in America, Australia, Canada, Cyprus, Ireland, the Netherlands, Romania and Spain.
- also done similar work regarding young people and sexual health, pornography and HIV/AIDS.
Employment (most recent first)
|1992-present||Julian Cohen Limited
– self-employed specialising in drug and sex education work with children, young people, parents/carers and professionals.
|2007-2009||Derbyshire CC Social Services
– part time sexual health project working with young men in care.
|1992-2003||Senior Consultant and Trainer
Healthwise Schools Support Unit.
Drugs and sex education training.
Young Person’s Drug and Sex Education Project, Tameside MBC, Greater Manchester.
|1981-1986||Teacher of Science, Technology & Society,
Education Disadvantage Project, Manchester University.
|1978-1979||Youth & Community Worker
|1971-74||B. Sc. (Hons) Liberal Studies in Science, Manchester University, II(i)|
|1974-75||M. Sc. Liberal Studies in Science, Manchester University|
|1975-1978||Research student, Industrial Sociology Unit, Imperial College, London|
|1980-81||P.G.C.E. (Secondary/Further Education), Manchester University|
|1986-87||Certificate in Counselling, Tameside College|
|1987-88||Diploma in Counselling, Tameside College|
|2004-5||Psychotherapy Training in Transactional Analysis, South Manchester Centre for Psychotherapy|
|2005-6||Person-Centred Psychotherapy and Counselling Training,